1) The ability to reduce or even eliminate sampling risk – This is the biggest advantage of forensic accountants over the external auditors.
2) The comparison of relevant types of data from different systems or sources to show a more complete picture
3) The ability to easily trend relevant data over periods of time, fluctuations in trending lines can be analyzed further for false positives and potential risk factors
4) The quick identification and extraction of certain risk criteria from the entire data population for further analysis
5) The testing for effectiveness of the control environment and policies in place by identifying attributes that violate rules
6) The identifying trends of which company personnel, consultants and forensic accountants were unaware.